I’m writing a weekly post in a series of ‘Line Manager Updates’.
It’s a way of consolidating in my own mind what’s going on in my new freelance life. In the process, I’m hoping that the stuff I stumble on helps other people who might be going through a similar experience.
In this update, more insights, successes, and things to change.
Top line: it’s been a week full of surprises; money is getting tighter; my generosity around coaching content is significantly reduced; exercising more and first steps taken to change diet; I seem to be gravitating towards arts organisations – not entirely sure whether that’s necessarily a good thing in terms of sustainability.
- ‘moving towards’ is much better than ‘moving away from’
- being goal oriented can stifle serendipity and client-driven agendas
- contrary to a life of thinking otherwise, compliments are valuable
- don’t compare; seek out difference; celebrate it
- fledgling ideas are enriched in the company of others
- develop ideas by testing and re-testing; no idea is right
- once you’ve identified the unwanted weed in the garden, get rid of it quickly
- corporate environments demand more energy
- there are a significant number of people around who are basically crap
- organisational politics are the enemy of a nimble hungry freelancer; avoid
- commissioned to write an article – massively pleased/proud
- came up with three pitches for article – third one was the most interesting
- met up with 5 energetic individuals I admire who’s perspective helped shape mine
- unexpected work offer for a short-term project over the next few weeks
- successes have made me consider offering other services
- setting up a monetising platform for pay-per-view coaching content
- cycled 50 miles in one week
- drastically cut down on wine
- published Leeds Piano Competition podcast – the best performing podcast yet
- valuable CPD session this week
Things to change
- spend a bit time before each task focusing on why you’re doing X
- is now really the right time to be doing X?
- can you achieve X in half an hour?
- plan content more
- coaching insights are no longer free
- one CD review, one interview, and a podcast clip
- nail solid goals and see them through to completion in 30 minute blocks
- identify out of town arts orgs and categorise NPOs
- set up a new email subscription service because of stupid GDPR