I’m writing a weekly post in a series of ‘Line Manager Updates’. It’s a way of consolidating in my own mind what’s going on in my new freelance life. In the
In this update, more insights, successes, and things to change.
Top line: it’s been tough, but it feels like the product is bottomed out. The unique sales process feels a whole lot more familiar. Pitching isn’t weird anymore.
- Difference between a daydream and a goal: the former is the foundation for the latter.
- Working for yourself doesn’t mean working alone. You might need partners.
- There is an industry dedicated to supporting fledgling businesses – a distraction.
- Am I working hard enough? I’d prefer to ask ‘am I thinking smart enough?’
- Be patient. Your thinking develops at the pace that suits you. Strive for authenticity.
- Selling coaching requires stamina and patience.
- Those who consider coaching as ‘pop psychology’ aren’t ready for coaching.
- Show respect at meetings by making things run-to-time.
- Meeting others challenges your own perspectives and helps develop your thinking.
- Don’t let hope for something in the future distract you from the task at hand.
- If something doesn’t happen then the chances are you’ve dodged a bullet
- What’s in your circle or concern and what’s in your circle of influence?
- What’s in reach? What’s just out of reach? What do you need to stretch for?
- Writing about difficult subjects is powerful and authentic. Don’t be deterred.
- Two full days of contact research; one meeting and one introduction secured in 24 hours
- Business Model Canvas exercise reinforces confidence,
- Value Proposition exercise fuels motivation and self-belief
- Three new coaching products and packages
- Developed a service distribution strategy
- Updated website ‘About‘ page.
study / proofof concept offers made
- Visited ‘The Ex’. Didn’t pine. Felt uncomfortable at the way people were hemmed in.
- Stumbled on a digital publishing idea I had a few months but had forgotten about.
Things to Change
- Meet more – face to face conversations fuel fledgling relationships
- Devote hour-long blocks to specific tasks. Drive harder. Complete.
- Email more
- Read more
- Tighten up the coaching explanation, and the pitch
- Build more Twitter lists
- Flesh out the digital publication idea for
- Clip up podcast and subtitle
- Publish next podcast
- Research out-of-London arts
- Investigate digital production jobs (just in case)
- Follow-up on podcasting leads
- Coaching associate meetings
- Tighten up the pitch and the primer
Jon Jacob is an ICF accredited leadership coach, mentor
Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org or call him on 07768 864655.