What follows are some notes hastily scribbled down during the live broadcast, updated in almost real time. A sort-of live blog, but not really.
Inventive and entertaining opening sequence – this is about demonstrating good TV.
Scott darling, ssssh.
– Latvia. Intonation trouble in what sounds likes a primary school song.
– San Marino. More intonation trouble. Two modulations too many.
– FYR Macedonia. I’m sure it makes sense to someone.
– Azerbaijan. He might be pretty, but he too has intonation trouble.
– Finland. Cute, catchy. A bit of fun. Nice.
Ana’s interview from Andreas from Lithuania. Uncomfortable viewing.
– Malta. Gorgeous.
– Bulgaria. Fuck me, this is annoying.
– Iceland. Annoying hair. Worthy but dull.
– Greece. A distinctive ska-sound not over-comedic. One I’d like to see qualify.
I’m certain that Mills and Ana are playing it straight this evening. Good.
– Israel. Beautiful melody very well performed.
– Armenia. OK. But not remarkable.
– Hungary. Distinctive. Off the beaten track. Good stuff.
– Norway. I’m not a big fan of it, but it’s a qualifier.
Lys Assia. Eurovision royalty. Nice.
– Albania. No.
– Georgia. A bit dull but a qualifier. A crowd pleaser.
– Switzerland. GCSE song writing.
– Romania. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time.
Voting sequence insert from the BBC – pretty good. Nice to see something approaching an appreciation of what’s involved in songwriting.
Panel with Dr Eurovision and SBS lady pretty good too: relaxed; good humoured.
“When in doubt, go to Norway.”
Predicted qualifiers: Azerbaijan, Finland, Malta, Iceland, Israel, Armenia, Hungary, Norway, Georgia, Romania
Actual qualifiers: Azerbaijan, Finland, Malta, Georgia, Iceland, Hungary,Norway, Romania, Armenia, Greece